Mixing SATA & IDE

xania 11:34 11 Nov 2014
Answered

I have a self built desktop based on an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard. I have a SATA drive with Windows 7 Home running well. I need to attach an IDe drive for data use only. This drive is configured a slave - ie no jumpers. When I try to connect via the DVD drive cable (temporary arrangement) the PC boots but cannot see the SATA drive and tries to boot from the IDE drive.

I also have purchased a device which purports to connect an IDE device via the SATA drive, but this device actually stops the system from even booting. This is the device

click here thougnt o n either way of solving the problem would be very welcome

Any

Jollyjohn 12:02 11 Nov 2014

On next boot, with both drives connected, go to Setup / BIOS and check both drives are seen. Note the SATA drive and look for the Boot priority setting - ensure SATA is first boot device.

If there is a SATA setting usually RAID SATA or IDE possibly AUTO not what it is now and if boot fails, change from SATA to IDE or vice versa

I have had very limited success using SATA/IDE adapters, useful for recovering data but not stable to run PC from.

Jollyjohn 12:27 11 Nov 2014

Basi setup IDE Primary Master is my IDE data drive IDE Primary Slave is DVD drive

SATA1 Drive OS drive

Advanced setup - Hard drives 1st drive SATA

1st boot - dvd 2nd boot - SATA

Integrated peripherals SATA mode - SATA

I have just booted and double checked the above settings.

xania 19:17 12 Nov 2014

Yes - I thought of that but I only have CD/SATA/FDD options, and have set :

1 - CD 2 - SATA 3 - not available

NB IDE is jumpered as slave as well!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 12 Nov 2014

Could never get my Medion to boot with an IDE attached :0( BIOS always seem to look at IDE drive for op sytem regardless of what I set.

you may have to find a setting in the BIOS for ACHI for the drive for it even to see the IDE drive.

Always make a note of what you have changed so you remember to change it back again if it doesn't appear to work.

bumpkin 20:46 12 Nov 2014

Not the answer but if all else fails you could use a USB caddy for the IDE if just for data.

bumpkin 20:46 12 Nov 2014

Not the answer but if all else fails you could use a USB caddy for the IDE if just for data.

xania 11:32 14 Nov 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks, I'll look and see if I can find this - and , of course, warning recognised.

Bumpkin - yes - that is my last resort!!

Jollyjohn 13:37 14 Nov 2014

Do you have your dvd drive connected as well?

If not then the computer is doing what you have told it to do - try booting from cd first - it is finding your ide drive and getting stuck.

Note there are three separate sections of the BIOS you need to check and have set correctly.

xania 23:22 17 Nov 2014

No DVD drive connected as need this for the IDE at present. But the same thing happens even when I set the boot sequence to 1 - SATA 2 - not available. Somehow, connecting the IDE HHD to the IDE cable completely blocks access to the SATA drive.

Jollyjohn 11:37 18 Nov 2014

What comes upon the screen when you try and boot with the IDE drive connected?

Are there not 2 connectors on the IDE cable? Usually one for master, one for slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?