Mixing Inventel and Belkin/Netgear wireless kit

smokeyblue 18:07 24 Nov 2006

I had inventel wireless modem with two usb wireless connectors for pc and laptop as part of wanadoo broadband package. When orange took them over they screwwd up my broadband and I switched to tiscali - ADSL modem only, no wireless. The inventel wireless modem will only work with orange - it rejects a non orange id at setup time. If I buy a netgear or belkin wireless modem can I make it work with the inventel urp54g usb connectors?

Ashrich 22:41 24 Nov 2006

Yes , as they are 54g connectors they should connect to anything that supports 54g , just make sure you set the new router to " g " only , turning off the " b " or " b/g " portion in the wireless settings

Ashley

mgmcc 09:19 25 Nov 2006

The answer is "yes", *PROVIDED* Wanadoo/Orange haven't locked them to their own brand of Router/Modem in the same way that it is locked to their own network.

You can only try and see. If connecting is impossible, you will have to replace them with normal retail products.

smokeyblue 16:26 25 Nov 2006

Thanks for your help at least I know it is worth giving it a try.

Ashrich 18:33 25 Nov 2006

Surely if they locked them that prevents you from using Coffee shops etc. with net access and defeats the whole point of wireless internet. I doubt that even they would be THAT stupid .....would they ?

Ashley

Aargh 16:32 26 Nov 2006

Smokeyblue

How would orange or tiscali know what hardware you use? All they 'see' is your broadband username/password that connects at their end.

I have used numerous modems and rouers provided by ISP's or bought by myself, and changed ISP's. I'll I've ever needed to connect is the username etc.

You should be able to enter the details into any piece of ADSL equipment to connect to their service.

mgmcc 17:50 26 Nov 2006

<<< How would orange or tiscali know what hardware you use? All they 'see' is your broadband username/password that connects at their end. >>>

That's correct. You can generally use any compatible modem or modem/router to connect to an ADSL service.

However, Orange/Wanadoo have "crippled" their Livebox products so that they cannot be used with a different ADSL provider. BT do the same with the Voyager routers they provide as part of a package (which are different from the retail Voyager versions).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?