Mixing 32 bit and 64 bit pcs on same home network

Alaric 15:33 01 Jan 2010

I have a home network connected via a Trust 445A Modem/Router (MSHOME). It is connected via Ethernet cable to 2 XP PCs and a laptop with Vista (both 32 bit). I have recently acquired a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), which I wish to connect to the Network, initially via cable but later wirelessly. Trust have told me that it would not be possible to connect the 64 bit machine to their modem. My ISP supplies a Thomson 585 v7 802.11g Wireless Router, which I am considering using. I have contacted Thomson about whether it would be possible to use this for a network with both 32 and 64 bit OSs, but no info has been forthcoming. Also, I have received conflicting advice from elsewhere, some saying that there should be no problem but others indicating that it can be very problematic. I would welcome any advice before purchasing a new modem/router.

mgmcc 21:13 01 Jan 2010

When connecting to a router, the operating system is immaterial, it can be any version of Windows, Linux, Mac OS etc., so using Win 7 64-bit isn't a problem.

Alaric 17:17 03 Jan 2010

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that I was sent a generic email that is shot off if they cannot be bothered to give a customised reply (and presumably encourage me to buy a new product). I will take the opportunity to go wireless and get the Thomson modem/router, despite the fact that they did not respond to my enquiry. Presumably I do not need to do anything to the network adapters on each machine, and I should change the Workgroup name to WORKGROUP, the Windows 7/Vista default. Presumably also Zonealarm needs to be disabled during network setup, and then and new IP adresses input into Zonealarm.

mgmcc 09:03 04 Jan 2010

All computers should be in the same Workgroup. Personally, I prefer to use a name of my own rather than either of Microsoft's default names of WORKGROUP and MSHOME, but that's a matter of choice.

Ideally, you should enter your network as a "Subnet" in Zone Alarm. If, for example, your Router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then in Z.A. go to "Firewall > Zones", click the Add button, select Subnet and enter...

IP address - 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Description - {anything} but it needs an entry

...click OK and, back in the main screen, click Apply.

Just be sure that the third "octet" (number) of the IP address matches that of your router. The final octet is zero; this allows access to all addresses in the Subnet - 192.168.1.1 to 191.168.1.254

mgmcc 09:04 04 Jan 2010

Oops!

191.168.1.254 should, of course, be 192.168.1.254

Alaric 17:51 04 Jan 2010

Thanks for that - very helpful. Will let you know How I get on when new router arrives.

Alaric 15:50 13 Jan 2010

I received the router a few days ago and set up the network, and all worked fine. However, after the first day, the Vista laptop would not connect using wireless, but I have got it to connect intermittently. I get the impression that I am not the only one with this problem, so will start a new subject in Networking: 'Intermittent connectivity with Vista Laptop.'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?