Mixed up icons

giggsy 19:46 04 Apr 2003

Evening ladies and gents. Hope you can help with what is not really a problem, but is annoying me!
I defragged my hard disk and swap file last night, and now when I go into my Office 2000 folder from the start menu, all the icons have moved around so they no longer correspond to the program they load up. The WORD icon is next to Microsoft EXCEL! When I click it, it loads up Excel, so at least the wording is correct. Thing is, if I right click the Start menu and examine the contents, all the icons match the corresponding programs. Weird! Running W98SE by the way.
Cheers.

Gongoozler 20:49 04 Apr 2003

Hi giggsy. This really does sound weird. I can only suggest that you create new shortcuts from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office (or the equivalent on your pc) and drag them to your C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs folder. If the new shortcuts have the correct icons you can then delete the defective shortcuts.

giggsy 21:05 04 Apr 2003

The problem is Gongoozler is that the icons in the Shortcut Bar\Office Folder are also messed up. Only when I right click Start and select open and go to the folder I have named Office 2000 are the icons correct! Really bugging me now!!!!

Gongoozler 21:12 04 Apr 2003

Hi giggsy. How about if you generate completely new shortcuts. E.g. got to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office. Right click on Winword.exe. Select "Create shortcut". Then drag the new shortcut to your C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs folder. This will be a genuine shortcut, and so will also have a "Change icon" option in it's properties.

giggsy 21:39 04 Apr 2003

Have tried that Gongoozler, but the icons in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office folder are also messed up. The only place they are correct is if I right click Start, select Open and then browse through program files into the folder named (by me) office 2000 where I stored all the shortcuts after installing office 2000 a few months ago.

Gaz W 21:56 04 Apr 2003

What Gongoozler is saying is what happens exactly if you create a new shortcut from scratch? If you try making one on the desktop (right click, New, Shortcut and type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe", what icon comes up by default, without selecting one?

Also, look at the file WINWORD.EXE. It should have the Word 'W' icon. If it has the Excel icon, something has gone horribly wrong somewhere and you would be best off reinstalling Office. If Word has the proper icon, this should be the default one that appears on a shortcut to Word unless you change it.

It might be that a DLL file has been messed up(?)

woodchip 22:08 04 Apr 2003

Have you try TweekUi it can repair icons, and windows system files

giggsy 22:12 04 Apr 2003

I have pasted a copy of winword.exe to the desktop and the proper blue w appears as the icon. However, in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office folder, the winword icon is not the blue w !!!!!!!!! Looks like a star of some description.

woodchip 22:21 04 Apr 2003

As I said download Tweak the on at the top from click here

woodchip 22:24 04 Apr 2003

PS to install there is a file with a .inf extention, right click on the file and choose from the list install it will put the program in the control panel you can drag a shotcut to your desktop

giggsy 22:25 04 Apr 2003

Hi there woodchip. Just downloaded TweakUI, and repaired the icons!!!! Cheers for that woodchip, you're a good 'un! And thanks to the others that responded so swiftly!
Thanks again guys!
Giggsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone