Mix DDR memory from two different makers?

JerryJay 12:09 15 Dec 2003

I have one stick of DDR400 (512MB) memory, but I cannot get another stick from the same manufacturer (I do not know who made it because not label on it). Does it matter if I get another stick of DDR400 from any other manufacturer? Is the performance going to suffer? I understand that the best performance will be achieved by a matching pair.

Chegs ® 12:30 15 Dec 2003

RAM can be fussy,I have used two sticks from different mfg successfully,but I have also had two sticks from same mfg(only difference was one was ever so slightly slower than other)give me major hassles with lockups/crashes.

Djohn 12:52 15 Dec 2003

As Chegs ® says, you can mix different makes and size, even speed of memory and it will work. But can not be guaranteed to do so. If possible it's always best to buy matching sticks.

If you buy your new memory from somewhere like Crucial and find it does not work well with your existing stick, you can at least buy another one from them, and be safe in the knowledge that it will be the same as the first one bought. Use their motherboard/memory guide for best performance. click here

Jester2K II 12:57 15 Dec 2003

"I understand that the best performance will be achieved by a matching pair. "

If the board supports Dual Channel memory then you HAVE to buy as a "matched pair" to use that feature. Mixing types and manufacturers will not work or will be unstable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?