Mistery items in Device Manager

Cymro. 16:29 07 Feb 2008

I have found that some of the items in my Device Manager are listed more than once. I have disabled the duplicated items without any ill affects on my computer.

Should I now go on to uninstall these duplicated items? Can I do so without irreparable damage to the computer?
Has anyone any idea how such items become duplicated?

Hawy 16:39 07 Feb 2008

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gongoozler 16:40 07 Feb 2008

Some items should be duplicated. What are the ones you are referring to?

Cymro. 17:01 07 Feb 2008

The duplicated once are

Display adapters=Plug and play monitor has two versions

System devices=Motherboard resources has two versions

Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub has four versions

They all seem easy enough to enable+disable but I am very weary of un-installing them.

Gongoozler 17:36 07 Feb 2008

My system has duplicate Motherboard resources and USB root hubs. Not sure about Plug and play monitors, but that seems harmless enough.

Cymro. 17:55 07 Feb 2008

I will try my printer in all three USB ports to see if that has anything to do with the item called Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub

brundle 18:01 07 Feb 2008

It's normal to have more than one USB Root Hub. Nothing you've mentioned is any cause for concern.

Cymro. 18:28 07 Feb 2008

With the items disabled my printer would not work so I had to reactivate the Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub

The printer is now working again. So that will teach me to meddle where I should not, as Hawy said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I still wonder why some items in the list are duplicated but I will reactivate them before something else goes wrong.

Thanks to you all for helping someone who should have known better.

Gongoozler 18:37 07 Feb 2008

Lots of USB root hubs for lots of USB ports?

Cymro. 18:59 07 Feb 2008

AS you say "Lots of USB root hubs for lots of USB ports?
"Four USB root hubs but only three USB ports, I wonder why that is, no never mind I am better off not knowing.
Good job I only disabled them rather than uninstall them.

Technotiger 19:04 07 Feb 2008

If you had un-installed them, they would have come back the next time you started your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?