Missing USB connect icon

chub_tor 15:46 16 Jan 2006

The little icon with the arrow to show that USB connections have been made has disappeared from the bottom right of my system tray. It is normally there all the time as I have a card reader permanently installed. And I notice that when I plug an item such as a flash key into a USB port it used to open to show its contents. It no longer does that either. I get the usual sound and I can access and use the USB via My Computer and Explorer so it's not a major problem although of course I can't use the safe remove option as it never appears.
I am running Windows XP SP2. Anyone got any ideas, registry hacks etc?

mgmcc 16:32 16 Jan 2006

With the external drive plugged in, right click the drive in the folders list, then left click Properties > Hardware. Left Click the name of the external drive in this list, then click Properties > Policies. This takes you to the "Write caching and safe removal page". The default position in my XP is "Optimize for quick removal" not "Optimize for performance" as implied by Freecom and Microsoft. You can put the icon in the notification area by clicking the underlined "Safely Remove Hardware" on this page.

chub_tor 16:52 16 Jan 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by "right click the drive in the folders list". Is this in Explorer or My Computer as I don't see Policies as a tab when I click on Properties.

chub_tor 16:57 16 Jan 2006

OK I found Policies under the hardware tab and properties. The little icon is back - thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone