Missing task bar / start menu

slowhand_1000 13:32 05 Sep 2006

OS XP Home.

A friend asked me to look at his laptop (after his childrens friend went on it) as his task bar and start menu are missing.

There's a bit of the task bar visible (just) when logged in normally it's just enough to get the curser to change when hovering over it.

I've tried Ctrl + Esc and also tried the Windows key, but nothing happens.

I've tried a virus scan but Norton refuses to start.

I've tried to do a virus scan online but when I visit the sites all is well until I try to scan then nothing happens.

I've scanned with Ad-Aware and found a few instances of Spyware/Adware.

I took the drive out and placed it into another as a slave, scanned with AVG (found 8 infections) and scanned again with Ad-Aware (nothing found this time)

I've tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode but it won't let me.

I've also tried to set up another user but when I get to the setup page it's blank.

Also when looking in Task Manager I can see explorer.exe is actually running.

If push comes to shove I suppose I could do a restore.

Cheers

slowhand.

slowhand_1000 13:33 05 Sep 2006

I forgot to mention that the desktop icons are also visible, it's just the task bar / start menu that are missing. Just!

anskyber 13:52 05 Sep 2006

Have you looked at repair facilties? I should add I have not used this personally.click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 05 Sep 2006

Taskbar missing
click here

anskyber 13:56 05 Sep 2006

Or here. click here

ACOLYTE 13:57 05 Sep 2006

You could try opening task manager then ending explorer.exe this should wipe the desktop,then in task manager click file new task(run)in the box that opens type explorer.exe and click ok this should restart everthing and maybe get your taskbar back.
If it doesnt then restarting the pc will just put things back as they were.

slowhand_1000 14:15 05 Sep 2006

Fruit Bat /\0\/ and anskyber

I tried the Microsoft link but where it says

"In the Computer Management (Local) list, expand Local Users and Groups."

This is missing from Computer Management and I can't get into New User from the Control Panel. I can click the User Accounts link in the Control Panel but when the screen pops up all that shows is the two icons for 'back' and 'home'

ACOLYTE

I tried the fix but no joy.

anskyber

I'll go and have a look at the 1st link you posted.

slowhand_1000 14:48 05 Sep 2006

Tried the utility from the link you provided, but when I ran it I got a run-time error

'Run-time error '462': The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable'

Stuartli 14:58 05 Sep 2006

Have you also tried pressing F11?

slowhand_1000 15:28 05 Sep 2006

Tried f11 but no joy I'm afraid.

Altruist 15:41 05 Sep 2006

Have you tried putting the cursor right to the bottom of the screen until the double arrow appears? If you move them upwards it may be just hidden and come back and then you can see if the settings have been changed by right-clicking on open space in Taskbar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?