missing tab on wireless adapters

buzzwold 11:33 10 May 2009

Hi, I recently installed a Linksys WAG160N and a WUSB300N network adapter on a laptop using XP Pro. Have installed several Belkin setups on the laptop and am no stranger to setting up wireless systems. Had initial teething problems which were overcome. The router works well and hardwire connection is fine. I have just discovered that the wireless network adapter tab in Network Connections is missing, and curiously enough so is the onboard wireless network adapter tab. Can anyone throw me a lifebelt? I am beginning to pull my hair out now and if you knew me you would need a search party to find any!

mgmcc 12:53 10 May 2009

The "Wireless Networks" tab is only present if the Wireless Zero Configuration service is running. When third-party wireless networking software is installed, it tends to take over and disable the WZC service.

Go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK, scroll down to the Wireless Zero Configuration service, double click it to open its Properties sheet and ensure the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is "Automatic". That should reinstate the Wireless Networks tab in the network connection's Properties.

The problem is that, when you reboot, the third-party wireless software may again take over and disable WZC. If that happens you need, if possible, to uninstall the adapter's wireless software and reinstall the adapter with *DRIVERS ONLY* so that Windows' WZC manages the wireless networking.

buzzwold 15:29 10 May 2009

Many thanks to mgmcc for the response. I had tried that yesterday. I was looking for a quick fix so save a re-install. System Restore hasn't worked for some years now and never comes back even after a re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone