Missing system32 Driver?

sinewave 16:20 04 Nov 2008

I updated my laptop with XP SP3 and left it instaling.

When I came back to it it had hung and from previous experience the only way to regain control is to remove the battery.

Now windows won't boot because it says I'm missing the system\32Drivers\pci.sys.

There doesn't seem to be anyway I can re-instal this via the recovery disc or drivers disc.

Tried the MS Knowledge base without much sucess, anyone any ideas?

Cheers

skidzy 16:40 04 Nov 2008

You will need your windows disc or borrow one if possible and carry out a repair click here read carefully first,better still print it out .

There is a way to replace the missing file from the i386 folder but can be a bit long winded,a repair is the best bet.

sinewave 16:43 04 Nov 2008

Hi Skidzy,

I've tried that but it doesn't work, neither does the stuff I've found on MS Knowledge base! :(

skidzy 17:25 04 Nov 2008

I reckon its one of the early drivers to load,chances are you have more errors once this is fixed.

Can you boot into safemode ? (tapping F8 on startup of the machine)

If so try a system restore to a time before sp3.

Or maybe a repair from a possible restore/recovery partition. Tapping F10 0r F11 on startup,if this partition exists,post back the options...normally three options.

Do you have the Windows disc (not recovery disc) ? you drivers disc will be no use for this as its a windows driver missing or corrupt.

Stuartli 17:40 04 Nov 2008

If you can use Safe Mode, try typing:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

into Run and click OK.

You will need your XP installation disk handy.

This will repair or replace corrupted or missing Windows files.

skidzy 18:23 04 Nov 2008

Im on Vista as we speak,but i dont think SFC will run in safemode,been a while since ive used sfc on xp.

sinewave 16:24 05 Nov 2008

Cheers for the replies Guys, but nothing worked so I've gone for a reformat & clean instal.

All is now well, for now anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?