Missing smart card drive

mxyzptlk 20:11 05 Aug 2006

I am running WinXP Home. My PC has 4 integrated card devices, normally labelled as disk drives in Windows Explorer. For an unknown reason Explorer no longer sees them, so I can't upload pictures from my camera by inserting the SD card in the drive. The smart card and plug and play services are both running.

Can anyone suggest a cause/remedy (without reinstalling Windows)?

Thank you.

sean-278262 20:24 05 Aug 2006

Check in device manager and see if the drivers are the problem try updating them off the PC manufacturers site.

mxyzptlk 23:37 05 Aug 2006

Thanks for quick response. Problem is, no smartcard drive is listed in Device Manager. All four just do not seem to be recognised. System restore didn't help (but maybe the problem has been there for a while without me noticing). Now steeling myself to reinstall Windows unless anyone has any ideas?

Dipso 23:57 05 Aug 2006

I occasionally have this problem with my PC. In my case it is caused by a build up of static electricity.

Shut down the PC completely and switch the small power switch at the back of the PC to the 0 position if applicable. Then (with the PC still connected to the mains) press and hold the Power Switch on the front of the PC for approximately 30 to 45 seconds. Release the front Power Switch and return the small power switch on the rear of the PC to the | position. Then switch on the PC as normal. When you switch it back on you should find the card-reader icons have returned.

mxyzptlk 00:01 06 Aug 2006

Dipso,

Sounded good, but my PC does not have a switch on the back panel. Any other ideas?

Dipso 00:02 06 Aug 2006

...you could also try checking that the card reader cable is securely connected.

Dipso 00:06 06 Aug 2006

The switch on the back isn't important. Just switch off at the mains then press and hold the "on" switch (the one you power up with) for 30 to 45 seconds then reboot.

gazza38 08:03 06 Aug 2006

uninstall and then reinstall the drivers for your card reader.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 06 Aug 2006

Internal card reader will be connected to and internal USB port.

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB (USB roots and all).

Then click the Action - scan for new hardware (or reboot the PC) XP will find new hardware and reinstall the USB ports and your card reader.

mxyzptlk 12:59 06 Aug 2006

Dipso,

Your solution worked, I'm very grateful to you.

Fruit Bat, I tried your solution but came unstuck becuase I have a USB mouse - so everything stopped when I got so far. Thanks for the info anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone