Missing shell32.dll prob

SJ73 14:54 26 May 2009

I tried to post this appeal for help a couple of times yesterday but as it hasn't
appeared. I sincerely apologise if
it is duplicated.

I have a Toshiba laptop using XP Home
my anti virus picked a virus and delt with it. it told me to restart, which I did. when it sarted up It displayed winlogin.exe couldn't start because it is missing shell32.dll
I clicked OK and it showed lsass.exe couldn't load up because it is missing shell32.dll
I clicked OK and a message showed User interface failure login user interface dll. Msglna.dll failed to load. replace or restore original dll.
I restart and it takes mr back to winlogin.exe message. normaly i would download these files and install them but i cant get the computer on at all.
I can't get safe mode or safe mode with prompt and last known configuration didn't work.
I do have a Toshiba restore disk but I don't want to do a full reformat and the other option on the disk says only use this if you know what you
are doing with the files - and I don't. i did look at the options it had but it just didn't make sence and didn't want to make my situation worse.

i hope someone can help. many thanks sally

Graphicool1 15:15 26 May 2009

If you have a full WinXP Home disk, try this...
Start>Run at prompt type:
sfc /scannow
This checks the OS for missing files. If it needs the WinXP Home disk it will ask for it. Insert the disk click>'Retry'
At this point the disk menu may appear. Click on the bar to reduce it to the task bar. Don't press anything else.
As it checks it will replace any missing system files.

Stuartli 16:57 26 May 2009

Or download the DLL yourself:

click here

SJ73 19:03 26 May 2009

hi, stuartli, thanks for the link however i did say that normally i would download it but even if i did as i cant get it to start up i would have no idea how i would get it there.

SJ73 19:09 26 May 2009

hi, graphicool1, im not too good with tech stuff. now i now how to use command prompt however it wont let me start with command prompt. now it i put the disc in and press f8 and then exit the disc i get the black screan command screen. but it doesn't matter how i type your sfc bit in i just get bad command or file name. so i must be doint something wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 26 May 2009

Borrow a XP CD and do a repair install:

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Stuartli 19:26 26 May 2009
  SJ73 20:01 26 May 2009

stuartli , i had a feeling you ment that. i cant do it because i cant get the computer to load up. once you press on you get the windows bit that shows it loading then it stops and say it cant go any further.

fruit bat.
i have the recovery disk that came with it with xp on it. but i tried to do that once before with it but it tells me i can do a full wipe or the other option is expert recovery mode, this is for pc espers only. factory pre installed software can be installed onto and existing bootable partition. but when i looked i have no idea how to use it. its not like my old xp disc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 26 May 2009

You need a full XP disk of the same ilk as your system i.e. if you have XP Home on your PC you need to borrow a XP home CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?