Missing or Corrupt Hal.dll

jlp 14:52 24 Feb 2008

My parents in law are experiencing a problem with their Dell PC - where on boot up it displays the message c:\Systems32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt.

I have viewed the relevant logs in the helproom and tried the solutions in the Microsoft support article 314477. Unfortunately non of these work.

When I boot from the recovery disk I do not get an option to log onto the Windows installation. I cannot access the Windows folders. Bootcfg returns an error.

I have viewed the boot.ini file - and this looks sensible.

I have run chkdsk - this seemed to be doing some repairs to the disk - but had no effect on the issue.

A clean install of XP is not an option - as they do not have a backup of all there documents.

Sorry about the long explanation - but does anyone have any more ideas. I could possibly remove the drive and try putting it in my PC as a slave - but this would be at the limits of my ability!

BurrWalnut 15:01 24 Feb 2008

Here are a number of possible reasons/solutions click here
and a number of links click here

Connecting it as a slave would allow you to 'lift off' the data before reinstalling windows.

pj123 16:02 24 Feb 2008

Have you tried this:

click here

jlp 18:18 24 Feb 2008

Thanks for your replies BurrWalnut and pj123. I have tried the solutions in your links BurrWalnut (except a clean install and slaving the disk) - non of the seem to have any effect. pj123 - I am not sure if the regcure will work as I can't get into windows - would it run from the recovery system (dos prompt)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?