Missing or corrupt

ddperry72 19:10 17 Nov 2008

I turned my computer on (XP) just to have it go directly to the safe-mode option screen. No matter what I click on, I get:

STOP: OXOOOOOO51 REGISTRY_ERROR

So, I tried repairing XP and can't. It says:

MISSING OR CORRUPT
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

What does this mean and how do I make it go away. I have all my pictures on this computer and am freaking out. Please, anyone, help me. I hardly use this computer anymore, but I really need to get 2 years of kids pictures off of it.

Explain in simple terms please, step by step...lol, I'm not updated on the computer lingo.

Thank you so much,
Mommy wants her pictures!

woodchip 19:19 17 Nov 2008

Do you have a Full XP cd??? if not then you cannot do a Repair. If you only have a Restore cd or Restore Partition this will wipe your drive so should only be used as last resort. As you will lose all you files and Pictures

ddperry72 19:27 17 Nov 2008

Yes, I have the full Home Edition CD of XP. I tried putting the CD in and I hit "R" for Repair and the Missing or Corrupt warning comes up.

VoG II 19:29 17 Nov 2008
  ddperry72 19:58 17 Nov 2008

Okay, I got stuck on part one...

When I get the the recovery console I selected #1. C:\WINDOWS

I get a blue screen that says:
A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED. WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.
REGISTRY_ERROR
TECH INFORMATION:
***STOP:OXOOOOOO51 (OXOOOOOOO3, OXOOOOOOO3, OXOOOOOOOO, OXE1229000)

Now what????

ddperry72 20:00 17 Nov 2008

I can't even to get the other command prompt where I need to type all that stuff.

ddperry72 20:16 17 Nov 2008

by the way, all those ... ... ... just say somthing about making sure all software and/or hardware is propery installed; disabling them or removing them; and using sade mode to do this.

I have nothing plugged into this computer except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I've tried getting into Safe Mode and can't even do that. I still get that missing or corrupt file warning.

Please help

Oh, and I tried downloading the Guided Help, VoG, but nothing happens.

lotvic 20:27 17 Nov 2008

""I hardly use this computer anymore, but I really need to get 2 years of kids pictures off of it. ""

Easiest way is to take the hard drive out and hook it up as a slave drive in another computer and then just copy the pictures to the hard drive on the other computer.

ddperry72 20:38 17 Nov 2008

any other suggestions?

i have two laptops, but my kids love this computer and i have put enough money into it where I'd like to save it (the computer was built for me, not a store bought).

ddperry72 20:42 17 Nov 2008

can i hook the hard drive to my laptop for now, just to get the pics off? how hard is that??? LOL

lotvic 21:00 17 Nov 2008

click here for same on lockergnome forum.

you will need a Hard drive enclosure that you can plug into a USB port on the laptop.

Someone will recommend one (in a few minutes time - I hope)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?