"Missing operating system" error

jamesp 17:50 10 Feb 2006

I pressed F11 during startup to reboot the system and now it won't get further than a black page saying "Missing operating system" and nothing else. A bit of background:

A few months ago something was wrong with windows, I can't remember what, but my brother gave me a fake windows to install on a different partitioned and it's worked fine for months. The past few weeks my computer has been making strange sounds upon startup, like crackling sounds in the electrics. I've also had a lot of trouble with spyware/maybe viruses contracted from a file from Limewire. Then yesterday the noises I previously mentioned got louder and my computer turned off and wouldn't turn on again. I tried it on the other plug socket set in my room and it worked fine, but I decided to reboot my system what with the spyware and everything, so pressed f11 at startup and now the error message shows. My brother tried installing fake windows again and it runs through the installation, reboots then says the same thing. I can't try reinstalling/rebooting from a disc as my compouter didnt come with one. What should I do? And what could be causing this? I've tried to find answers online but peoples circumstances seemto be different from mine, or i dont understand the technical talk.

curlylad 18:44 10 Feb 2006

I would firstly open up the case and make sure all the cables are securely attached to the hard drive , if one of the cables for instance the ribbon cable to the hard drive isn't in properly then this can cause your error message !

jamesp 18:46 10 Feb 2006

My brother looked for me as I wouldn't have a clue and he said it was all connected fine.

VoG II 18:50 10 Feb 2006

Purchase a legitimate Windows CD and install click here

jamesp 18:52 10 Feb 2006

I already have a legitimate Windows installed, on one of the partitions on my PC. It just came readily installed on the PC and there is no disc.

curlylad 18:55 10 Feb 2006

If you already have a legitimate copy of windows then why did your brother give you a fake copy which you then installed ? Uninstall the 'fake ' copy and do a repair installation of the legitimate copy.

jamesp 18:58 10 Feb 2006

Like I said, there was a problem with legitimate Windows so I installed that fake version as I needed to use the computer urgently and then had no idea how to revert back to using real Windows.

I can't uninstall anything since my computer won't boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone