Missing Laptop Keycaps

six-h 16:44 21 Mar 2009

The lappy concerned is a "Clevo Co." model D22ES bearing the monica "Iridium"
The machine reports it's a "Starbook 520", it's about 6 years old. CPU is a Celeron 2GHz and it's running XP Home SP3.

Are the majority of laptop keycaps interchangeable?
Mine has a missing "A" cap, and I wondered if an "A" from a similar looking redundant keyboard would fit, and do you just "press it on" like a "press stud"?

I'm also having problems upgrading the memory (it can handle upto 1024MB)currently 512MB with 16MB used for graphics.
The crucial scanner couldn't identify what type it is (so old!)
The manual says : -
Two 200 pin DDR SODIMM sockets, supporting DDR SODIMM's (2.5V) - "DDR 266MHz compliant".

Any advice?

MAJ 17:21 21 Mar 2009

Some laptops have keys that are easy to replace but still you have to be very careful when doing so. It's difficult to say without seeing yours.

Your memory upgrade is click here The DDR 333 (PC 2700) memory is backward compatible with your DDR 266 (pc 2100) menory.

six-h 18:00 21 Mar 2009

Thanks for identifying that MAJ, would this : -click here
also be compatible?
Just been looking at a few pages that detail key replacement.
It appears I am only missing the actual "keycap", the little pantograph arrangement is still attached to the keyboard, so I'll hunt round for something similar in apearence!

six-h 14:06 21 Apr 2009

Just an update regarding my hunt for this missing key in the hope that it will be of assistance to others seeing odd keys.
I found this e-bay site which gave me a service more than equal to the quality of the excellent photos and at a fair price.
click here
Grateful thanks also to Taff for his attempts to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?