Missing HD space

Dicmay 15:54 22 May 2003

Hi!
At the moment I have my computer set up with an 8.4gb hd as master and a 40gb hd as slave.

The 40gb i have split into D/E/F drives and given them a 20/10/10 split.

Each of the drives is nowhere near full. For example, the D drive has about 15gb of data on it so in theory it should have about 5gb free. However, windows explorer reports it as having 700mb free as does Sisoft Sandra. Whenever i try to save anything to it tho, I get a message saying drive out of space.

The other two partitions have similar problems. I have run scandisk on all of them and the D partion has about 32kb in bad sectors. Scan disk says that errors were found but were fixed. E and F report no bad sectors but both say that errors were found and fixed.

A curious thing I noted was that if I perform scandisk on d it will report correctly the remaining size of the d partition. However, if i then perform a scandisk on E, the space left on D goes back to being incorrectly reported.

Can anyone give me any advice on this matter as it is somewhat annoying.

Many thanks!

woodchip 16:00 22 May 2003

Are you on Win98

Dicmay 16:04 22 May 2003

Yup....fe altho I do have it was updated using windows update.

woodchip 16:07 22 May 2003

Does any of these apply to you click here;EN-US;243450

woodchip 16:10 22 May 2003

Try again copy the address bellow and past into your address bar in browser and close the spaces ether side of the // then press enter

http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;243450

Dicmay 16:23 22 May 2003

Thank you Woodchip.

I've just had a look at my bios and its an American Megatrends (AMI) bios altho I do have the ESDI_506.pdr file that the article mentions.

Its dated 1998 sometime so I will try the fix and let you know.

woodchip 16:37 22 May 2003

PS is your AV up to date!!!!?

Dicmay 16:38 22 May 2003

Aclick here you soo much Woodchip. Your're an absolute star!

The problems with scan disk has been sorted. All partitions are correctly shown as are their sizes. The bad sectors problem is still there but that will prolly get sorted with a format.

Thanks very much!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?