Missing Hard drive space after a Defrag?

hiwatt 22:17 28 Aug 2014
Answered

Hi folks.This is a strange one. I'm just about to do my back up of my C drive so I have done a "clean up" first. My C: drive was showing 150GB used of 913GB aroung 40 minutes ago.I have just done a defrag(and optimize) with auslogics and my C: drive is now showing 175GB used space. I automatically thought system restore but when I checked system restore last made a restore point at 17:15?Where has the 25GB went to ? Nothing at all has been downloaded?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:44 28 Aug 2014

Reboot and recheck the disk properties

hiwatt 22:59 28 Aug 2014

It's just the same Fruit Bat /\0/\ I deleted around 20 odd gig of files and emptied the recycle bin and it was showing 150gb used.Only after the defrag/optimize did the 25GB appear? Strange! I'' delete all but the most recent restore point 'cos there quite a few but still no clue how this could have happened?

sunnystaines 08:07 29 Aug 2014

defrag again with another defrag program.

hiwatt 10:51 29 Aug 2014
Answer

I cleared all but the last restore point so there's only 84.1GB used now.No idea what caused it but sorted for now.Thanks folks.

hiwatt 21:38 16 Sep 2014

I ended up uninstalling Auslogics.I really liked the defrag side of it too but every time I ran a defrag my disc space would loose around 2 gig? Does anyone here use Auslogics defrag? If so give it a run and check your hardrive space before and after a defrag. Does anyone know why running a simple defrag would use up a significant amount of disc space? I've installed Defraggler and that at least isn't eating up disc space when runniung a defrag? Strange!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?