Missing Files

leedsafc 18:32 24 Feb 2009

Recently when booting up my USB optical mouse froze at the XP user login screen i tried alt del shift but a login screen prompted me for my password which i have never set up. I switched the power off and booted up to receive an error message unable to find Windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt you may be able to recover the missing file from the recovery consle with the windows XP disc. I understand that this is a relatively common fault but on trying to recover the file through a repair the system hits a blank during set up and reports a fatal error. I suspect that my hard drive may be suspect, but having had a second opinion it has been suggested that it is the Mobo.
The system is self built and been running perfectly for at least 6 years.
The spec is
ASUS A7 N8X-E
AMD CPU
1Gb Ram
250 Gb Sata
OE XP SP2
As anyone any ideas please

skidzy 18:40 24 Feb 2009
  leedsafc 19:18 24 Feb 2009

Yes thanks for that, i did looked at that originally, the problem is my version of XP is an OEM.

skidzy 19:35 24 Feb 2009

Sorry mate,if i had read your post properly i would have noticed you have tried.

Can you boot into safemode ?

Im doubting its the mobo,i would say its most certainly the hdd corrupt.

Have you got another hdd you can try ? even if to confirm the mobo is ok.

Have a look here and particularly the post from Jamille and tschrock click here

leedsafc 21:28 24 Feb 2009

Can't boot into safe mode. I don't think its the mobo but the guy who i got the second opinion of suggested that. I think he ran out of ideas.
I have got a back up pc and i was thinking that i could connect the suspect HD to that one but the HD is connected via IDE and the suspect HD is a Sata although the Mobo supports sata, Could i install the HD in this pc along with the IDE HD?

leedsafc 19:12 25 Feb 2009

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?