missing files

arnie30 07:38 14 Jan 2007

Hi can anyone help,
Some time ago I used a new version of reg seeker which I think was a bit to harsh and maybe deleted some files from my computer.I therefore tried to restore the clean it performed without any joy,I installed the program itself but am unable to use one or two programs which were always ok. My main concern is that I have tried four times to install media player 11 and just keep getting the message " Media player could not be installed " I have downloaded the latest updates from m/soft but to no avail.
I have a restore cd but really dont want to go that far for obvious reasons, is there a way I can either download or replace any missing files (if thats the problem).
I would be glad of any help.
Cheers

iI

STREETWORK 07:42 14 Jan 2007

Use the system restore to roll back the PC to a time before you did the deed. This will load a backup registry/

arnie30 07:47 14 Jan 2007

tried but no good

radi8or 07:54 14 Jan 2007

arnie30,

Type sfc /scannow (note space) in Run box and have Windows CD handy, let it run when it's finished reboot should replace any missing files.

HTH

Regards Bob

arnie30 21:36 19 Jan 2007

The main problem seems to lie when I install windows software ie i/explorer 7 will not install.
My version of xp is genuine and therefore should be ok.

woodchip 21:57 19 Jan 2007

This is why I keep saying, Get Acronis True Image and create a Image. No good in your case if you don't have it, but it could be back up and running in less than 10 minutes. It can be a Life saver with regards to PC's

gourmand 22:48 19 Jan 2007

Arnie, radi8or has the answer.sfc /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?