Missing file windows set up

Mabinogion 01:01 19 Oct 2007

Hi
I installed a package/download from the Welsh Language Board website to be able to use my Pc in Welsh and English but on restarting windows they wouldn't start and the message on a black screen came up after the Packard Bell screen saying that windows could not start missing or currupt file \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM and to attempt recovery using the windows original set up CD ROM or press 'r' to try to recover the file ~ but as I had the Pc sent to me through my insurance company as a replacement for my old one I never had a set up CD rom with it as it was all pre-installed and only had a 'click me' key to start off everything. I tried doing the recovery with the 'r' key but it asked me to try the 'system restore' first which I did as I had made a restore point but as the windows wouldn't start it couldn't get into the restore programme so tried the recovery programme but it went all through that ok but on restarting just the same thing with the same message, so any ideas what I can do please.
Thanks
Kath

mrwoowoo 02:46 19 Oct 2007

Go into safe mode by pressing f2 every second or so whilst the pc is booting up.
In safe mode you should be able to access system restore.

mrwoowoo 03:01 19 Oct 2007

Sorry,late and tired.
F2 is for entering the bios,it's f8 you want for safe mode.

Mabinogion 01:47 25 Nov 2007

Hi
Thanks for the help and yes I managed to get into the safe mode but had to hit the key at the right time or otherwise I had a different screen but I got the option to go back to settings and worked so clicked on that one and got it started again so then I managed to go back to System Restore and sort it all out, so back to normal now.
Thanks again great site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone