Missing File

ZZ Top 10:28 03 Apr 2007

Before I give my problem, I am well aware of what an idiot I am for not creating any back ups of my system! If you help me solve my problem, I promise faithfully to back up at least once a week from now on! I haven't made any drastic changes to my computer other that to use registry cleaners (Eusing/CCleaner). After using these, and a new defrag the system shut down and restarted successfully and everything seemed normal, even a little faster, as I would have expected. However, after shutting it down for the night and restarting, I now get the message 'windows could not start coz the following file is missing/corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system'. This seems very serious especially without a backup. All I have is a system restore disk that came with the machine 5 years ago - so that's not really an option. As it is a Time package, there are no windows (XP) disks either. Grateful for any assistance - I'm not really sure how to start in 'safe' mode or get to the 'use last known good boot' or whatever it is, screen. Many thanks in advance.

VoG II 10:40 03 Apr 2007

Do not try this if you have an OEM version of Windows click here

wee eddie 10:40 03 Apr 2007

Turn Off the PC > Turn on the PC > Keep clicking the F5 or F8 button until you get a "bleep" > Chose the either Safe Mode or Last good configuration > you will have to navigate with the Directional keys.

MAJ 10:42 03 Apr 2007

I doubt if it will cure the problem, but, to get to the option of "Last Known Good Configuration", restart your computer while tapping the F8 key on your keyboard until the Startup Menu appears, the "Last Known Good Configuration" option is there, try it out.

With no disks and an OEM installation, I think this could be a long thread.

Kate B 10:53 03 Apr 2007

Can you borrow a full XP disc from someone?

ZZ Top 15:07 03 Apr 2007

Have tried using 'last good configuration', but same error message as before. I can, however, get hold of an XP disk easily...

ZZ Top 20:39 04 Apr 2007

I've borrowed a XP disk but not sure what to do next! how can I interrupt the boot process to get a dos prompt?

ZZ Top 15:26 12 Apr 2007

After a load of messing about and an inability to boot from the borrowed disk, or even access the MS DOS prompt I bit the bullet and phoned a shop to sort it. Apparently my hard disk was buggered. It's now all been sorted for the minimum cost of £80. Thanks to all those who tried to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?