Missing File.

Conny 16:56 08 Oct 2004

I have tried to load an MS Office Tutorial disc and got an error message saying, "Cannot find COMMDLG.DLL file."
I then have to abort the installation. Can anyone help please?
Conny.

Valvegrid 17:15 08 Oct 2004

How old is that Tutorial Disk? The reason I ask is that COMMDLG.DLL appears to be an old Windows 3.11 file. I'm not sure what system you're using but you can download a copy from here and put it in your system folder, at your own risk of course: click here

Conny 21:45 08 Oct 2004

Tutorial is for Microsoft Office 2000 Beginners Edition. My daughter got it about 2 years ago. I am running XP Pro. If I did decide to download the file how do I load it exactly. Not exactly an expert at this type of thing. Cheers.
Conny.

JIM 22:21 08 Oct 2004

COMMDLG.DLL should be on your win-xp system in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and another copy in the C:\WINDOWS\system folder.---Version num = 3.10.0.103 listed as a 33kb Application Extention.

Suggest you first do a search for the file via the start,search button,then open up all files and folders.Type in COMMDLG.DLL.Make sure in box below it shows, "Look in local hard drives (C)"

Click search. It should show up as a 33kb application Extention and if you right click on the COMMDLG.DLL then click on the properties of the Dll click version,it may be listed as version 3.10.0.103.

"If for some unknow reason" the COMMDLG.DLL does not appear,suggest you then do a SFC /SCANNOW via the start then run box.Again type in the box
SFC /SCANNOW as shown(with the space from C to/.
Have your winxp disk handy if asked for. Reboot then have an other search as above,let us know first how thing are.

Conny 20:18 28 Oct 2004

Had it in C:\Windows System but not System 32. Have now copied it to System 32 as well. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?