Missing Ethernet Adaptor Driver

Ruger 10:14 27 Jan 2009

My daughter has recently had Post Office broadband installed plus 'phone line. Her computer is a generic 'beige' machine, assembled by a company that went out of business several years ago. The operating system is XP Home Edition.

The Post Office chap who installed her telephone and modem, told her that there was an Ethernet adaptor driver missing from her computer, and that the missing driver could be obtained from the Internet, or on a CD. The Internet option is not viable as she hasn't got a connection!

Is the missing driver located on the Windows installation CD (XP upgrade 2002, without SP2)? If so, how do you go about finding and installing it?
The make and model of her computer is unknown, as is the network card's identity, so I can't download a driver for her.

Any suggestions would be most welcome please.

birdface 10:18 27 Jan 2009

Try switching the modem of at the socket for 10 seconds and then back on again leave for 2 minutes and see if that helps.

crosstrainer 10:21 27 Jan 2009

Make and model of the problem device? Post this, and you can download it and burn to cd or save to usb stick when we find it.

birdface 10:24 27 Jan 2009

Maybe try Start.All programs.Accessories.System tools.System information.That should give you the general details of the computer.

Ruger 13:49 28 Jan 2009

Thank you very much for responding to my request for help.

Crosstrainer. I have received information from my daughter (she lives some distance away) that the problem device appears to be a "RAS Async Adaptor". Does that make sense?

birdface 14:19 28 Jan 2009

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
click here

birdface 14:29 28 Jan 2009

Someone with the same problem and had to go to the Intel Website to download the driver.Unfortunately the Intel website will not open for me.So unable to check if it is available or not. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017