Missing DVD decoder.

Meshuga 15:48 03 Mar 2006

Have had my PC for some time but never tried to play dvds until today. On putting a dvd in it showed a message saying Cannot play this dvd as no compatible decoder installed. Why would a manufacturer fit a dvd drive without a decoder? Can anyone tell me what I need to get to make this playable and where would it fit please. The dvd that was tried was shown as Universal. It was not regionalised. The pc is well out of warranty so I don`t think I`d get much help from the manufacturer. My os is xphome. My cd rom drive is separate from the dvd drive.

SANTOS7 15:50 03 Mar 2006

click here
If you are useing media player you will need the K-Lite codec pack from link...

pj123 15:53 03 Mar 2006

You need a program like PowerDVD to play DVDs.

A good free one is JetAudio from:

click here

skidzy 15:55 03 Mar 2006

Try this,im not if it will for you,but cured a problem for recently.

Alternatively,it sounds like you have missing Codecs.Do you get any warnings stating what codec is missing ?

Try this:

Start >My computer > Right click on The dvd/cd Drive >Properties > Autoplay >

You should have a box possibly saying play music files....Scroll through the list and select dvd movies.

Try this and post back.

Meshuga 16:23 03 Mar 2006

Thank you SANTOS7 - pj123 and skidzy. After posting this I decided that I had nothing to lose by contacting the manufacturer, Gladiator Computers, so I rang them and explained and without the slightest argument they said they would send me a disc with the latest updated software for me to install and at no charge. I don`t think you can criticise that sort of after sales service especially after nearly 3 years from date of purchase. If I have any further problem I will get back to you. Many thanks for your suggestions. Regards.Meshuga.

Diodorus Siculus 16:33 03 Mar 2006

That's certainly a recommendation for a PC manufacturer if ever I heard one!

Meshuga 16:36 03 Mar 2006

Hi D S, its a pity a lot more manufacturers don`t take a leaf out of their book. Meshuga.

skidzy 19:50 03 Mar 2006

Meshuga

Thats one of the best things ive heard for a long while regarding a manufacturer.As im looking for a new system over the next few months,i will bear this posting in mind.
Good luck with the updated software.

Meshuga 20:53 03 Mar 2006

Thanks skidzy. They are in Derby and their web site is click here Tought you might like to make a note for future reference.

Meshuga 14:44 07 Mar 2006

To all above, I have now received the Power DVD disc from manufacturers and installed it and DVDs now play OK on PC. Thats what I call service. Regards.

Meshuga 15:14 07 Mar 2006

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?