Missing drives - please help!

Soloist 11:43 09 Oct 2008

Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition. I have lost my D and E drives (DVD and CD) in My Computer. This came about when I installed and uninstalled Roxio Easy CD Creator v.5. I cannot use either of the drives.
I have deleted the registry entries UpperFilters and LowerFilters as recommended on the MS and Roxio websites without success.
In Disk Management the only drives that show are C and my backup external drive J. In Device Manager/Disk drives, I can only see a USB device and a SCSI device.
I have also tried the Roxio ‘DriveFixInstalled.exe’ and DriveFixUninstalled.exe on click here.
If I right click on a document and select ‘Send to’, the only drive I can see is the backup external drive J.
I have run out of ideas, please help me!

uesquebeathus 13:13 09 Oct 2008

quit a common problem
Faulty writing to dvd's or Missing DVD/CD DRIVES in xp an vista , this can often happen if you try and change the recording software, have a look at
this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
go to this web page

click here

and Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

next method first back up the entire registry.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
click start, then enter regedit

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.

If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

Restart Windows.

next method Based on CDGONE.REG

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
5. Restart Windows.
6. It (XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip) worked for me in about two minutes, so please let me know if this works.

click here

or this
Autoplay Repair Wizard click here:- click here

or

Autoplay disable/enable
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

Soloist 17:35 10 Oct 2008

uesquebeathus
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Had already deleted the upper/lower filters. Tried the other suggestions but without success I'm afraid.
Soloist

birdface 23:39 10 Oct 2008

Maybe try a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

Jollyjohn 16:39 11 Oct 2008

When the computer starts up are the drives seen by the bios? They will be listed on the POST screen. If not check the cables inside the box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie