Missing drivers in vista after new install

windsock 13:49 20 Feb 2014

Hi all need some help please I have a Toshiba L300 satellite laptop that I had to replace the hard drive in, belonging to my niece she couldn’t find her original vista discs that came with the laptop fortunately I still had my windows vista disc form my old medion laptop so managed to reinstall windows but after install discovered some of the drivers were missing in device manager went onto the Toshiba support page for drivers and managed to find some but still missing some for network controller and wireless card also can’t seem to get touch pad working downloaded touchpad drivers but when I look in device manager the touchpad is not showing only the external usb mouse I am using? Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Ian in Northampton 15:24 20 Feb 2014

Does this help? Not sure it's a Toshiba site, so be careful.

northumbria61 13:30 21 Feb 2014

Toshiba UK Look under Services & Support for driver downloads

Ian in Northampton 14:15 21 Feb 2014

northumbria61: my guess, from the OP, was that he's already been there - hence me pointing him at an alternative.

mole1944 14:53 21 Feb 2014

Phone Toshiba and they will give you a phone number to order proper Toshiba discs with the drivers you need info from machine serial numbers etc. cost £35 or so, had to do it for a friend of mine. next when all running o.k. clone the hard drive this saves messing about reinstalling the lot again. if you have a western digital drive in or attached to the system they do a free cut down version of Acronis.

windsock 19:42 21 Feb 2014

Hi all sorry for not getting back sooner thanks for you replies, managed to get everything back apart from touch pad, downloaded drivers and installed. now showing in device manager but showing yellow exclamation, tried loading driver again but said most updated driver installed so im thinking it may be broken

rdave13 21:07 21 Feb 2014

Try installing this driver 'over the top' and rebooting. link (remember to extract first). I've downloaded it from the external link and scanned with AV and Malwarebytes and is clean. See if that works.

rdave13 21:16 21 Feb 2014

Just remembered that if you are using a USB mouse for now then shut down, not reboot, and remove the mouse. Boot up and see if working. If not use the mouse again and go to control panel and under 'mouse' you should get to the Synaptic touch pad properties. See if enabled there.

windsock 22:14 21 Feb 2014

hi rdave just in process's of doing your recommendation, but good old windows decided to update when i shut down 86 in total so could be a while

rdave13 22:19 21 Feb 2014

windsock , in that case, it might install the driver automatically. Once the updates have installed check the Synaptic pad's properties and check it is enabled but most probably you will have more updates to do afterwards. For a fresh install of Vista 86 updates isn't much :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?