Missing drivers for Ethernet or Network

Jaded1 17:08 15 Aug 2014

Hi. Clean install of WinXPHE SP3, onto Dell Inspiron 1300 (service tag 6LXZ62J). Unable to connect to 'net via ethernet cable. Device manager shows ethernet and network controllers as having no drivers. I'm assuming that the RJ45 connection requires an ethernet driver? I've downloaded a driver (Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller) from Dell support. This unzipped into c:/dell/drivers/R150593. I've left clicked onto the .exe file and it seemed to go through an install procedure; but I've no idea where? So I can't re-install the driver. Any ideas please? T I A, J

john bunyan 19:26 15 Aug 2014

Not sure in XP , but go to Device manager. Find network adapter, right click and click on Update driver. then then indicate your driver download location of the file you downloaded.

BRYNIT 19:59 15 Aug 2014

Usually a reboot installs the drivers after you have click on an exe file. Or in device manager click on network adapter/update drivers and select the C:\ drive it will then search the whole drive.

Jaded1 17:10 16 Aug 2014

Thanks for tries, but no luck so far. It would help me if someone were able to say for certain whether the ethernet cable connection (RJ45) is a Network connection, or an Ethernet connection, (or either??), so that I can concentrate on the appropriate driver. J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 16 Aug 2014

Its both.

Ian in Northampton 19:43 16 Aug 2014

Like Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, they're one and the same thing. 'Network' is generic, while Ethernet is a specific implementation of a network which is used in 88.9999% of (local) networks these days, and all PCs and laptops use Ethernet as their (wired) networking technology. RJ45 is the physical plug/socket arrangement that Ethernet - your network - uses. To all intents and purposes, Ethernet and network are interchangeable.

Jaded1 15:02 18 Aug 2014

Thanks for info. The Dell network drivers download as two separate files; a 0kb application and a large .exe.part The Windows driver installation procedure doesn't recognise them (to activate the OK tab) and I've tried to 'Run' them. Any ideas on how to install these Dell drivers please. J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 18 Aug 2014

you will probably have to right click the .exe file and select Run as Administrator from the menu

Jaded1 15:43 18 Aug 2014

Regret that 'Run as Admin' is not offered in sub menu. This is Win XP (don't know if that makes a difference?) It only offers 'Open' and Windows cannot open it. Please note that this isn't a straightforward .exe file but is a .exe.PART file. I've never met this type before.

Jaded1 15:54 18 Aug 2014

Regret that 'Run as Admin' is not offered in sub menu. This is Win XP (don't know if that makes a difference?) It only offers 'Open' and Windows cannot open it. Please note that this isn't a straightforward .exe file but is a .exe.PART file. I've never met this type before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 18 Aug 2014

if only a part file then its not all downloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?