missing dll file

project 90 11:20 05 Nov 2010

hi, after i tried to make my speakers from headphones to 5.1 i loaded up my creative console launcher, and the shell.dll error came up, when i look at details it says

rundll32.exe_Shell32.dll i try checking for solution online but nothing comes up, what do i do to get the file replaced?

are any of these programmes that say scan pc and replace files actually work or are they just viruses in diguise?

hope some one can help me

Thanks

northumbria61 12:52 05 Nov 2010

If the problem has just occurred I suggest you try a "System Restore" - it suggests a conflict.

northumbria61 13:12 05 Nov 2010

I should have said that both of these should be located in your Windows System32 folder - navigate to C:\Windows\System32

project 90 13:52 05 Nov 2010

already tried that, thought it might of been the new nvidia drivers but still happening even uninstalled sound card and al its drivers and programmes and installed it again but still doenst work.

northumbria61 14:52 05 Nov 2010

Try this - ***Find a copy of rundll32.exe in folder c:\windows\system32\dllcache or in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
If you find this, go ahead and copy rundll32.exe to the system folder c\windows\system32.

Otherwise you need a windows disc to expand this file.***

Or do a search on my computer for the file "rundll32.exe" and if found copy to C:\windows\system32 (the folder it was missing from).

If you can't find it I would advise NOT to download from a website - either use a windows disc or copy the file from another computer onto a USB stick to install.

northumbria61 14:57 05 Nov 2010

See here for "shell32.dll" click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 05 Nov 2010

perhaps it just needs registering.

Start, Run, (Search) type

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

press ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?