missing DLL file

gnomes 22:06 26 May 2007

I have installed a new program but at one stage it malfunctions with message "file ADVAPI32.DLL is missing"
How can I obtain the missing file ?
gnomes

MAJ 22:11 26 May 2007

If you are using Windows XP (and possibly other versions) it should be in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

Strawballs 22:13 26 May 2007
  gnomes 18:07 27 May 2007

MAJ
Thanks for info. I have Windows 98 and have located file in Windows/System 32
How can I persuade new programe to access it ?
Regards gnomes

MAJ 18:11 27 May 2007

Which program are you having problems with, gnomes?

gnomes 18:15 28 May 2007

MAJ
The program is a Photodex program for producing a slide show. It is necessary to view the show as it is being put together but when I click "preview" message appears -
"advapi32.dll:ConvertStringSecurityDescriptorToSecurityDescriptorA" is missing (I have not mistakenly repeated any words)
After receiving your info I found the file advapi32.ll double clicked to obtain the "open with" menu and selected "pxplay" - the only reference to the Photdex program in the menu - but still I get the message re the missing file.
Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Since January I have been in frequent contact with the American producers of the program. They always suggest uninstall & then reinstall. They have even sent me a new disc - all to no avail !
Regards, gnomes

MAJ 19:24 28 May 2007

Try using a different version of the Advapi32.dll file, you can download the XP version from click here Rename your own Advapi32.dll file to OldAdvapi32.dll and copy the new version to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder see if it works, it might, it might not, but you can always rename the original back if it doesn't help.

gnomes 18:25 31 May 2007

MAJ
Many thanks for your interest in my problem, it is very much appreciated. Pity the American publisher was not as knowledgable as you.
I did not do as you suggested as I was concerned that it might cause problems with my other programs. Having tried many avenues for the last five months I have admitted defeat and reloaded the 2005 Photodex slide program which I used extensively and was extremely good.
Again my thanks to you, Regards gnomes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?