Missing desktop PC from Network places

MARCOVANELMES 22:27 05 Apr 2006

Please can some one help?

My Mesh Desktop PC is connected (wired)to my Linksys WRT54GSUK which is then connected to NTL broadband, internet from this works fine. The Mesh identifies my wireless Dell laptop on the mshome network and can browse and use these files from my laptop.

But unfortnately the desktop does not appear in the network places I have tried network wizard which runs fine but desktop still does not list it self in the network. How do I resolve this???

The crazy thing is that my XBOX 360 can view and use shared files through media connect.

I am wits end all my photos are on my desktop which is in the nursery hence the purchase of the laptop which I would like to link to, this shall allow me to sort out those baby photos remotely.

Thanks in anticipation

Strawballs 09:11 06 Apr 2006

Have you right clicked on the folder that needs to be shared and allowed shareing this might help.

MARCOVANELMES 09:36 06 Apr 2006

Strawballs
Yes folders for sharing are ticked.
But desktop does not appear in Network.
Thanks

mgmcc 12:29 06 Apr 2006

Try entering the "Desktop" directly into the address bar at the top of the "My Network Places" window, either by name or by IP address, for example"

\\desktop_name

\\192.168.x.x

or even the path to the "shared" folder:

\\desktop_name\folder_name

Also ensure that you don't have firewall software in the "Desktop" which is blocking access from the laptop.

I frequently have a computer's icon "missing" from My Network Places, but can still access it via the address bar and open the remote folders. Even then, My Network Places doesn't necessarily update to show the "missing" computer.

MARCOVANELMES 23:09 07 Apr 2006

click here

Comin from work tonight and desktop showed up my network. Brilliant!!!
Who knows, but laptop can view and edit desktop files. Just what I needed maybe desktop need restarting when is trying to set it up yesterday.
Just need to make it secure???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone