Missing C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

iqs 15:57 14 Feb 2008

Hello,

I have just restored a 6yr old Packard Bell running XP using Smart Restore,booting with the Floppy Boot Disk.

Can anyone wxplain why the file just dissapeared please.

I received a phonecall from a mate,asking for help when the above happened.All he did was connect a second internal H/D.It was on the same IDE as the original C: drive.

He switched the Pc on to install and partition the second drive,and this message appeared..Windows could not start due to the following file missing....C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

So any help is appreciated please.Cheers

crosstrainer 16:01 14 Feb 2008

Of things come to mind:

1) Was the new drive really new? Or did it have left over data on it?

2) Packard Bell use a process called "Tatooing" on their machines, which can cause problems when upgrading components....Idea being they want you to take it back to good old PC World for upgrades :)

VoG II 16:05 14 Feb 2008
  crosstrainer 16:08 14 Feb 2008

Must have missed something, I thought iqs had already restored the pc from a Packard Bell boot floppy?

VoG II 16:10 14 Feb 2008

Perhaps I have misunderstood...

crosstrainer 16:14 14 Feb 2008

I may be going senile :) useful KB anyway :)

iqs 17:04 14 Feb 2008

VoG™ and crosstrainer,

Thank you for your help.

The drive was second hand,I'm not sure if it held data or even an OS.

Like I said the Pc would not boot,so I thought it was the second drive at fault.Removed the drive,and still the same.

The supplied link was very helpful.

When comes to installimg or repairing XP,i use the install cd or the supplied boot disk.This always works for me.

Can you offer any advice or walk throughs regarding other ways of repairing XP please.

Once again thanks for the help.

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 14 Feb 2008

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

crosstrainer 17:11 14 Feb 2008

A few around:

click here

click here

The second is the Microsoft Knowledge base link...Everthing you did and did not want to know. The first is a simple way to repair an xp installation without re-formatting the drive(s) Your problem may well have benn caused by the data left over on the seconhad hdd...Always format them first :)

iqs 18:21 14 Feb 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\ for the very detailed procedure.

Thanks again crosstrainer,very handy.

Cheers

iqs 15:42 15 Feb 2008

Hi,The second harddrive which caused all the problem had 98 installed.
I used a 98 boot disk and formatted the drive.

I am know installing XP on this drive.I used the XP disc to format to NTFS,was this the correct procedure?.

Question,is there a way to format a drive if you dont know or can't access the OS installed,without using the OS install disc.

Can it be formatted from the BIOS for example.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?