Missing Com. Port

Sue100 18:46 13 Oct 2006

After installing Nat West Bankline software on my laptop my modem stopped working. I can hear it dialling etc. and am not convinced the problem lies with the modem. The modem is connected to Com port 4 but when I look in device manager there are no Com ports listed. If I add a comm port it creates a port called Com port 5. Do I have to reload windows to get it back?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 13 Oct 2006

Can you see your modem in device manager?

Right click on the modem select properties then the diagnostic tab and query modem.

Sue100 23:50 13 Oct 2006

Yes, I can see the modem and it says it's working correctly

DieSse 23:59 13 Oct 2006

*The modem is connected to Com port 4*

It may say that, but in reality Com4 is a kind of "software/virtual" Com Port that is part of the modem and modem driver.

Most systems have only 1 or 2 real Com ports - these are the 9 pin "D" shaped connectors on the rear of the system, and you can attach external modems (and other things) to them. Internal modems don't attach via real Com ports.

The reason that if you add a comport yourself it creates a Com5 - is because that's next in line after the Com4 port that belongs with the modem. You can't create a Com port for the modem in that manner.

I suggest that you go to Device Manager, remove the modem, and remove any other devices relating to it (I think they are shown as things like HSF, or Simple Serial devices - sorry I don't have a modem any longer, so I can't actually check).

Then re-install the modem (which should ask for the CD in order to install the drivers) - and see if that wakes it up.

DieSse 00:03 14 Oct 2006

However - I have to say that if you can hear it dialling, that usually implies the modem setup is OK.

It may be worth asking NatWest.

What actually happens after it dials?

Does this happen specifically when you use the NatWset software - or even just a simple internet connection?

woodchip 00:04 14 Oct 2006

He as a Laptop So I would think the Modem is a Dial-Up and part of the onboard chip

woodchip 00:06 14 Oct 2006

PS if the modem works on Com 4 you can not run it on any other. as you cannot move jumpers etc like you can on a External one to change things

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?