missing cd rom on startup question

patso 23:39 19 Sep 2005

a friend of mine has asked me to help him ,his problem is when he starts his pc and inserts a cd the pc cant find it and it gives him a message d:/ is not accessible incorrect function. but when he reboots with the disc in the drive the pc then seems to be ablr to find the disc.hes using xp home with sp2.any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:41 19 Sep 2005

Uninstall and reinstall the IDE channel the drive is on.

keith-236785 23:43 19 Sep 2005

goto device manager and uninstall the cdrom drive, then click Actions on the menu bar, select scan for hardware changes.

let windows install the cdrom and try again, dont know why it works when booted up with a disk in and not when its empty but it might be the start of the drive failing.

patso 23:52 19 Sep 2005

thanks for the answers but hes a complete beginner how do you un and re install the ide channel. i will email this page to him.also his pc is not that old so he may have deleted some thing.thanks patso

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:01 20 Sep 2005

Control panel - system - hardware -device manager - click on the + next to IDE/ATA/Atpi controllers , select the channel (probably secondary), right click select uninstall from the menu.

To reinstall Action scan for new hardware.

But it is often better to reboot afterthe uninstall XP will find new hardware and install on the reboot.

patso 00:05 20 Sep 2005

thanks again i only hope he has the install discs for the drive .i will post back after he trys thanks again

rjv 14:48 20 Sep 2005

With any luck he shouldn't need discs - XP should have the relevant drivers.

I am having a similar problem myself with a brand new machine (Mesh, XP Home, SP2). Drive appears to work fine (though autorun rarely if ever kicks in), then suddenly becomes inaccessible (light stays on or stays off) and vanishes from 'My Computer'. There are timeout errors in the event log, followed by a 'device has disappeared from the system configuration' message. Rebooting seems to cure the problem.

Only had the machine 3 days, v. frustrating. Will be trying the uninstall/re-install thing tonight...

Cheers,

Rob.

patso 23:20 20 Sep 2005

thanks again to all.i emailed the page and am waiting to see if it helped and will post back.thanks again patso

Stuartli 23:35 20 Sep 2005

CD/DVD drives and rewriters only require the basic Windows CDROM driver which is installed automatically when Windows detects the new hardware.

If you uninstall/remove the drive in Device Manager and then reboot, Windows will Find New Hardware and install the driver.

The work done by a rewriter is done/controlled through burning programs such as Nero.

Have you also right clicked on the drive in My Computer and checked AutoPlay from its Properties?

keith-236785 09:51 21 Sep 2005

dont forget that the ide drivers may be installed from the motherboard cd and not from windows (windows will install the basic drivers but if you install the drivers from your mobo cd then you might need to re-install from the mobo cd) windows will re-install the default basic drivers for the ide channel. the mobo ide channel drivers would be used for enhanced options and are not really needed to make the cd's work.

patso 20:11 21 Sep 2005

i emailed all the advice to him but hes afraid he might mess up his pc so hes getting someone to check it out but many thanks for the useful advice as you never know when it might be needed.thanks again patso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?