Missing CD and DVD Drives

Newuser1897 13:30 05 Jan 2003
  Newuser1897 13:30 05 Jan 2003

Having installed a new hard drive ( as the other crashed ) in the process of reinstalling everything I have suddenly lost my CD drive (E)and DVD player (F).
In "My Computer" the CD rom has both a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116 and a TEAC CD-W58E under it and in "properties-general" for the Pioneer it says
" Device status- This device is not working properly because a device it depends on,Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo),has been dynamically turned off" -my me somehow ??
The TEAC says the same but Primary IDE instead.
Looking at these IDE contollers under "Hard Disc Contollers" in "My Computer" both have explanation marks against them and both advise me to restart my computer.
When I do try restarting I get a message that says new hardware detected restart my computer so I keep going round in circles !
Any ideas please ??

BrianW 14:39 05 Jan 2003

I suspect you need to re-load the IDE controller drivers. If you have the CD-ROM that goes with the motherboard they should be there. If not, check on the motherboard manual and it should tell what drivers you need. If it is a VIA chip controller then I suggest you go to the VIA web site and download the latest 4 in 1 driver set. If it is some other chipset then you will need to locate the relevant site to get the new drivers

special sophie 15:12 05 Jan 2003

also check your jumpers

Newuser1897 12:33 12 Jan 2003

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?