Missing Buttons

gasach 22:43 18 Feb 2003

My son and I both have new computers operating XP. When I log on click here, the home page appears complete with 8 buttons giving access to various parts of the site.

When my son logs on to this site on his computer, the home page appears minus the 8 buttons.

Any Ideas? Regards gasach

hugh-265156 00:26 19 Feb 2003

check and see if java console enabled in internet options.might have something to do with it.

spuds 02:24 19 Feb 2003

Seems okay. All buttons showing.

temp003 03:24 19 Feb 2003

I think huggyg71 is right. A lot of these "buttons" are java script. Microsoft took the java virtual machine out of XP (there was a lawsuit with Sun on this). The java virtual machine was downloadable as an extra, then I think MS has put the java virtual machine back into XP Service Pack 1.

It's a question of checking whether the java virtual machine has been installed (either separately or with SP1) or configuring it in internet options.

gasach 07:58 19 Feb 2003

Many thanks for your help folks, temp003 I think you have identified the core of the problem.

I downloaded XP Service Pack 1 some time ago, I doubt if my son did. Hence the difference.

Out of interest does this mean that people with XP, have always been denied full access to many web sites, prior to this update. Seems amazing !!

Regards hajach

temp003 08:42 19 Feb 2003

Judging from the no. of previous threads asking about problems with java for XP and where to download it, yes. MS even took the download off their own site for a while, but finally put it into SP1.

anchor 08:59 19 Feb 2003

Microsoft virtual machine, (their version of Java), can be downloaded from here:

click here

You may need to enable JIT compiler for virtual machine, in Internet options/advanced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?