Missing Application Files

rozelle 18:00 23 Jan 2006

Hi

My computer has XP;Intel Pentium 4 and has Norton System Works. One Button Check-up has logged a problem of "Medium Severity" in the Program Integrity Scan Section - Missing Program File [1].

"One or more programs on your computer reference files that are inaccessible or cannot be found. This might cause the program to run improperly or not at all. Unable to automatically fix.

Missing File: "C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\10\50\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe" cannot access a necessary file,
"mscoree.dll."

Now I know that a similar problem to this was dicussed in the Helproom last year but the wording was just slightly different to that detailed above so I am not sure if it is identical?? [Last year did not state 10\50 but something else]

Please has anyone any answers to the following questions

1] What would cause this problem to appear?

2] What effect is it likely to be having on
my system?

3] If, as someone has suggested to me, I ignore
the problem and leave it be, is such an
non-intervention option going to cause long
term trouoble?

Finally, does anyone know of a solution?? If so, can I point out that I am not very good at following instructions so if anyone can help, can they be specific as to what I can do to correct this annoyance.

Many thanks

VoG II 18:11 23 Jan 2006

Try running the System File Checker - Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked to insert your Windows CD.

More information click here

Bogbrain 20:04 23 Jan 2006

Unless VoG's link was of any help,there is a dll website where you can retrieve the missing dll file for free.The same thing happened to me although at the time I was on Win 98 but it worked for me and I was able to retrieve the dll file.
I forget the link off hand but if you Google it with the correct search I'm sure it'll cough it up for you.

Coff 20:09 23 Jan 2006

It's similar to this click here apart from the 10\50. The mscoree.dll is only installed on your system when you install the NET Framework. That's why it can't be accessed.

You can ignore it, it won't cause any problems for you.

woodchip 20:13 23 Jan 2006

If your Computer is running OK, ignore NOTON, As it can be more of a problem than what it say's needs fixing. Your best bet is use what I use DiscDoctor and Speed disc and stop the rest running. There is no need for them

rozelle 21:08 23 Jan 2006

Vog you are always willing to help - thanks for your response. I looked into scannow but got a bit nervous in case I had to mess around with installing the XP Disc. Bogbrain & Goff, appreciate your help as well and have looked into your suggestions. Reading the Symantec site it would appear that this problem can be safely ignored so I am going to do as woodchip has suggested and am not going to worry about this in future.

This forum is just so good and I am so appreciative of the advice from the four of you.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?