Missing apostrophes as in this paragraph

Bingalau 09:43 23 Feb 2008

I just got a mail from "Photo Bucket" and in it are two or three examples of apostrophes being replaced by weird characters as in this paragraph below. It's happened in the past with other mails from various sources.. Anybody know the cure?

Do you have a bunch of photos that you’d like to share with your friends and family? Why not share them in a slideshow! Its fun and easy with our new slideshow tool. Display up to 50 photos to any slideshow, add a frame, and share. You can email your slideshow or add it to your blog or profile page.

martjc 10:07 23 Feb 2008

...I've had the same thing happen in emails. Heard a story a long time ago about a man who worked for [I think] I.B.M. He lived in a small welsh village that had an apostrophe in the middle of its name.

Just to upset his I.T. dept. he made a point of complaining that every time his address was printed out, strange things would occur in place of the apostrophe. There was a kerfuffle when they 'corrected' this by changing his details on file so that the apostrophe was removed - that was, they said, the best they could do.

He didn't accept this and carried on complaining that the name of his village was incorrectly spelled.

Don't think they ever worked it out.

lotvic 10:32 23 Feb 2008

Happens a lot, I often get that on some Webpages I view and others display okay. Some webpages corrupt the £ sign also.

Bingalau 11:44 23 Feb 2008

I can't see why an apostrophe should be any different than any other character. So there must be a reason for it happening. Anybody else got any ideas?

Technotiger 11:51 23 Feb 2008

I believe it is down to bad programming on various sites - Photo-bucket being one of them!

Photo-bucket used to be a great site, but IMHO has rather gone down-hill in recent years - I stopped using Photo-bucket some time ago.

I now use ImageShack instead.

Coffee Adict 11:53 23 Feb 2008

Could be the coding the the people sending the message are using, if I change from Unicode to Western European the symbols in your original post change.

Bingalau 13:18 23 Feb 2008

Thanks everybody, it seems there's not a lot I can do to stop it then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?