Mint "Qiana" installation on XP machine.

rdave13 14:19 05 Jun 2015
Answered

I've never had much luck with Linux but will have a go at an old Packard Bell DOT notebook - instead of binning it. I have an external DVD drive to install from. Trying previous live CDs I've never managed to get a network adapter to work. Ethernet is usually ok. This notebook has an Atheros AR5B95 wireless adaptor and would appreciate any help. I don't need XP anymore so no dual booting wanted. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 05 Jun 2015

see last couple of posts here to hget wireless working in mint.

rdave13 15:44 05 Jun 2015

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. Knew it wasn't going to be easy. What the 'eck is a 'terminal'?

Going to be a long project for me I suspect.

bretsky 16:44 05 Jun 2015

Got an old IBM/Lenovo T400 ThinkPad which had Vista on it that I was going to bin, then I decided to give Linux a try and installed Cinnamon Mint Rebecca, took 10-15 mins to install during which it asked me for my netgear password to get connected to the net and that was it. Takes a bit of getting used to if you've been used to Microsoft, and also get used to using your password a lot. The Terminal is Linux version of DOS, you run commands from it to get into all the different repositories on the system, the names Sudo and Nano will be you best friends. In the software store, I tried to run Wine which is a emulator for installing & running Microsoft programs but found the programs I liked just didn't work, apparently a lot of companies run Linux servers because they are so reliable, plenty of YouTube tutorials to help you on your way.

rdave13 17:33 05 Jun 2015

Thanks bretsky, noted.

LastChip 17:46 05 Jun 2015

You may well find these days, everything works out of the box.

The days (generally speaking) of searching for drivers are long gone except for the most obscure hardware.

They say you can teach a chicken to install Linux, just teach it to peck "next". You can also forget about licensing keys and all that rubbish. It doesn't exist!

My advice is, forget Windows applications. It's not worth the effort. Just use the Linux native equivalents - all of which are installed from the get go.

Forget about malware and viruses. Although proof of concept viruses do exist, they've never been known (to my knowledge) to infect a users Linux machine. If you're really worried about that aspect, use clamav, a server strength anti-virus solution.

Any attack vectors in Linux, are far more likely to come via a browser, than the system itself.

rdave13 17:58 05 Jun 2015

You may well find these days, everything works out of the box.

Hope you're right LastChip but not my past experience. If I can fit the time will have a go in earnest tomorrow.

rdave13 18:09 05 Jun 2015

Downloading Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon 32-bit. Only 1.2 GB. If I tear what hair I've left, trying to get wireless working, then I've always got another spare drive in my back-up arsenal :)

bretsky 18:48 05 Jun 2015

I use my Linux laptop in much the same way as my Acer Aspire running Microsoft, LibreOffice for office applications, Thunderbird email client, and google Chrome for browsing and vlc media player, miss my ccleaner though but they have an alternative called Bleachbit which is pretty good, no A/V needed or malware programs installed. usb sticks found instantly. One more thing to remember is Linux IS case sensitive, Windows is not, also, Linux has no drive letters, everything comes under the root directory symbolized by a single "/". I'm still a fledgling at it but loving it.

rdave13 19:54 05 Jun 2015

Couldn't wait so prepared the boot order to the external DVD drive. All went well and it also recognised Wi-Fi. Installed and inputted the encryption password and log-in password. Now can't get in as showing 'crypto setup failed, bad password or options'?

My luck with Linux is still running strong then.

Can't do nowt with the drive until removed and formatted again.

Roll on Windows 10.

LastChip 20:07 05 Jun 2015

It maybe to do with your keyboard layout.

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps.

Don't worry about the fact that's it's for Ubuntu. Mint uses Ubuntu as the parent system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?