a minor problem in Word

palinka 15:59 21 Jan 2006

In a Word doc I have several pages of blocks/paragraphs of information, each block separated from the next by a solid line (hold down hyphen key). This is because I cut the pages up after printing and the lines show where to cut. BUT, in one instance, 2 lines have got in there and I can't delete one of them - actually I can't delete either of them, but deleting one of them would do.
I'm sure the answer is something simple, but I can't find it.

mgmcc 17:48 21 Jan 2006

Placing the cursor immediately under the "line" and pressing the backspace key should remove it - it does for me in Word.

jigz 17:52 21 Jan 2006

I would re-install word.

palinka 18:11 21 Jan 2006

jigz, I don't think it calls for anything as radical as that; it's a very minor niggle and everything else is fine.
mgmcc thank you; I tried that on a line that was NOT troublesome and it worked fine; That's it! I thought; but alas it has no effect on the "troublesome two".

VoG II 18:13 21 Jan 2006

Try saving it as a Rich Text file (.rtf). Then opening in Word, deleting the line and saving as a .doc.

palinka 18:20 21 Jan 2006

Aha! that may be the solution, VoG™. The doc in question came originally from someone else's PC and was modified by me.
I'll try it out. Thank you.

palinka 18:30 21 Jan 2006

Alas, no. Any further movement of mouse or keyboard scuppered your idea VoG™. I got rid of one of the lines, went to Save As, etc, etc, and behold, the line was back.

VoG II 18:43 21 Jan 2006

If it doesn't contain a lot of formatting then you could do similarly but save it as a plain text .txt file. Edit out the offending line in Notepad then open it in Word.

I would make a backup copy before doing that.

palinka 19:32 21 Jan 2006

good idea, thanks VOG, I'll try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?