Minor problem with desktop icons

NickyK 20:39 17 Feb 2005

Last night, my computer decided to eat half my desktop icons. Every time I try to restore them, it says "Windows could not create shortcut - check to see if disc is full".

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what this message wants me to do. I have tried all the other, usual methods of editing the desktop.

I'm sorry this is such a minor problem, but I don't know where else to go for help, and I rely on my icons.

Technotiger 19:21 18 Feb 2005

Hi again - have a look here (if this works) scroll down to Troubleshooting.

click here

NickyK 19:22 18 Feb 2005

Great to hear from you. DOn't concern yourself overly. I can still get my programs through programs. I am pissed about the vanished icons, but ce la vie. I am now much more concerned about the fact that I can't seem to be able to do a system restore. According to my system, (Dell/WindowsXPSP2) there are loads of restoration points. But when I have tried to do this, it says it can't. As I said, maybe I should post this as a separate subject.

Your help and advice is as welcome as always. Thanks for caring. N

NickyK 19:27 18 Feb 2005

Yes, Technotiger, the link worked great. I've bookmarked it and will read it carefully. I assume you don't think I should post my restore problems separately? And do you think I should close this strand? I don't want to waste peoples' time when there are so many other, far more serious, problems to be dealt with.

Nicky

Technotiger 19:29 18 Feb 2005

Me again - yes, close this one now, you can always post again if needed.

Good luck with my last offer.

Cheers.

MIke 19:34 18 Feb 2005

Have you tried Microsofts Tweak UI?

click here

There's an option to repair icons

Might work

NickyK 20:30 18 Feb 2005

MIke, your click here isn't there. But thanks anyway. Technotiger, I am resolving now. Cooking supper got in the way.

MIke 10:32 19 Feb 2005

I'll try again!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?