Minimum spec. to burn DVD videos?

Diemmess 10:05 30 Jul 2006

Tried for the first time yesterday and succeeded, but not before I had seemed to be getting nowhere at all and very ... slowly.

Posted a thread for guidance click here
and was given comfort!

I run Win 2000 with a 1200Mhz Duron and 1Gb RAM (SDRAM).
The system is old enough to creak, but doesn't.
In fact I can and do run several applications at once when publishing a local newsletter/magazine, and digital photograpy, manipulating quite large picture files with heavyweight applications.

Bilko (in the other thread) may have implied that "with my system" I was pushing things burning DVD videos.

OK I was, but I'm curious to know what sort of MINIMUM spec others feel to be necessary?

Jak_1 12:25 30 Jul 2006

That's plenty of RAM and the chip is reasonable though graphics programs will be heavy on memory and is the prob reason for slow burning.

gudgulf 12:36 30 Jul 2006

Take a look through these Video encoding results for a large range of processors......The nearest to yours is a 1.4GHz thunderbird.

It's right at the bottom of the list for each test.........bear in mind your cpu will be slower still and you will see the problem!

click here

Diemmess 14:49 30 Jul 2006

Consensus (of 2) lays the blame on a slow CPU.

Have obviously found the Achilles heel of my system.

Have quite an affection for the present home build, which has now shown a warning that it is time to consider what I do next.
At the moment nothing, because burning a DVD video was a 1 off.

I did notice that loading anything else during that transcoding was almost impossible (no spare resources.)
Manipulation of large jpegs is not a problem at the moment mainly because there's enough RAM, while the DVD operation required oodles of number crunching, and the old Duron was not adequate.

Thank you both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?