Mini DV to PC via Firewire issue

Goonersteve 21:49 10 Feb 2009

Hi there, I have a JVC GR-DVP9 Mini DV which I'm trying to connect to my PC via the Firewire port. However when I connect it the PC doesn't seem to see the camera and in fact I'm not sure I can even see any Firewire listed in the Device Manager (although I may be looking in the wrong place!). After that I tried to connect the camera to the PC via USB but whilst the PC saw the camera as a removable storage device Windows Movie Maker couldn't see any device. Ideally I'd like to sort the Firewire issue but as a non-technical user I would really appreciate some help!
Many thanks!

Technotiger 21:53 10 Feb 2009

Firewire in Device Manager is shown as IEEE1394.

Technotiger 21:57 10 Feb 2009

Look for IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers.

If you don't see that entry, then you do not have any Firewire Ports. These are easily added to your PC via PCI Firewire Card, which will give you two or more Firewire Ports.

See click here

Goonersteve 21:58 10 Feb 2009

Hi, I've looked in the Network Adaptors in Device Manager and all I can see is Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Is this where I should see it?

Technotiger 22:00 10 Feb 2009

No that is your on-board Sound.

Look in Device Manager, if you have Firewire it will be shown as above, usually below IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the listed hardware.

Technotiger 22:02 10 Feb 2009

Oops, not on-board Sound, but your Internet connection.

MCE2K5 22:09 10 Feb 2009

If the Firewire (IEEE 1394) Socket is on the Motherboard and Not a PCI Card, Check to see if it is Turned ON in the PC's BIOS.

Goonersteve 22:09 10 Feb 2009

Nope, doesn't seem to be there. Am I right in thinking that I'll need to get a Firewire card (even though there's a port on the front of the PC?). Also any idea why WMM can't see the camera via USB?

Goonersteve 22:11 10 Feb 2009

Hi MCE2K5, how would I check that? Sorry bit of a PC novice!

Technotiger 22:11 10 Feb 2009

I'll need to get a Firewire card (even though there's a port on the front of the PC?).

Yes, the ports on the front of a PC are very often not connected to the mobo.

Goonersteve 22:21 10 Feb 2009

Technotiger, thanks for the feedback, there seems to be loads of cards on the market, any recommendations? Also any thoughts on the USB issue?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?