MIMO routers

pigfisher 23:10 17 Sep 2006

hello
iv read the other treads relating to the topic but some questions of mine remain unanswered. Basically i live in a 5 story house and need wireless connection (using cable) on all levels.

Will a 54Mbps router cover the whole house or do i need to be looking at MIMO 108/240Mgps for the extended range?

I think im right in saying that 54Mgps cards will work on a 108+Mgps routers? But will the increase range avalible be picked up by these cards or will they have to be replaced for fast 108+Mgps cards?

many thanks guys

ade.h 23:14 17 Sep 2006

MIMO router + standard 802.11g receiver = standard 802.11 network. Five stories + 802.11g = no network, in all likelyhood.

Bit of info about MIMO from my site: click here and scroll down.

pigfisher 23:23 17 Sep 2006

thanks
i know this maybe a bit of a bizzar responce but would it be possible for say 3 stories connecting using 54Mgps cards and top 2 stories using 108Mgps all connecting to the same MIMO router.
thanks again

Strawballs 23:28 17 Sep 2006

Is there any way that you could position the router on 2nd or 3rd floor that might help

ade.h 23:29 17 Sep 2006

Yes, it would be possible. Provided a consistent, reliable and reasonably fast connection can be made between each client and the router, then the only effect that you should notice would be a drop in speed if a file transfer was directed to or from an 802.11g client as opposed to within the group of MIMO clients.

pigfisher 23:30 17 Sep 2006

i thought that but would it would make any difference

ade.h 23:31 17 Sep 2006

One floor is fine for 11g, but two floors or more is usually too big a task for it, particularly when so many networks are less than optimised with regard to positioning, environment and interference.

ade.h 23:35 17 Sep 2006

As a rule of thumb, any optimum figure stated for 802.11g can be cut by close to a third in the real world. So a claimed indoor range of up to 30m will really deliver about 10m or thereabouts. That's a typical distance from, say, an upstairs study at the front to a downstairs lounge at the back in an average home with average walls.

pigfisher 23:38 17 Sep 2006

thanks for all the help, not as easy as it first appeared. In your oppinon will my above surgestion work or do i need to go for all MIMO cards to gain good enough connections?

ade.h 23:57 17 Sep 2006

On which floors will you have wireless clients and on which floor/s could the router be easily positioned? If you can tell me that, I should be able to give you a pretty definitive assessment.

ade.h 23:58 17 Sep 2006

Logging off now, but will catch up with this tomorrow AM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?