migrating from office 2003 to office 2010

Kingfisher 14:51 28 Aug 2010

Good afternoon.
I am considering updating my office 2003 pro to office 2010pro, my concerns are will my email address, contacts and all my emails migrate automatically, or will I have to export/import. secondly is it possible to run the two office suites along side each other.
os is win xp home sp3.
many thanks

DieSse 14:54 28 Aug 2010

"I am considering updating my office 2003 pro to office 2010pro"

Why?

VoG II 15:00 28 Aug 2010

During the installation if you choose the Custom option then you can keep the 2003 versions of everything except Outlook (you can only keep one version of that). I wouldn't recommend that however.

Outlook will pick up your pst file with e-mails, contacts and so on.

Kingfisher 15:40 28 Aug 2010

Thanks VoG, to DieSse I have read that Outlook is very slow in 2003,(which it is in mine,) as it was an add on, but is more integrated in 2010, and much more responsive, will tick as resolved

Forum Editor 18:17 28 Aug 2010

but is more integrated in 2010, and much more responsive"

I have to say that in my experience (which includes participation in the early beta testing program) it's not the case that Outlook 2010 is much more responsive - at least compared with Outlook 2007, which was what I was using previously.

I'm a big Microsoft Office user, and I like most of it, but Outlook drives me mad a lot of the time. It takes forever to download Mail, is far too complicated for its own good, and for general use isn't a patch on Mozilla Thunderbird, which is free and lightning fast, although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that come with Outlook 2010.

I use Outlook because I need it in my working life, but it's a long way from being my favourite software.

DieSse 18:53 28 Aug 2010

And, Kingfisher, ThunderBird is FREE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone