Migrating emails from BT Internet to Googlemail

Pineman100 15:56 25 Mar 2010

A friend of mine has used BT Internet as her ISP for some years, and uses their webmail service for emailing.

She now wants to move from BT Internet to a different ISP (for a much better deal) and switch to using Googlemail for her email.

She realises that this will mean a new email address - that's no problem - but she doesn't want to lose all the old emails that she has stored on BT Internet's server.

Do you know of any way that she can migrate these old emails to her new Googlemail mailbox?

Im a diddy 16:00 25 Mar 2010

click here should help i recieve mails from another account.

Im a diddy 16:01 25 Mar 2010

sorry didnt read it properly

Woolwell 16:45 25 Mar 2010

Is she using webmail or an e-mail client?

I would suggest that she sets up an account on an e-mail client and downloads all of the e-mails on to her computer and off the BT server. She should then archive them or drag them to the googlemail account on her system.

Pineman100 17:07 25 Mar 2010

Woolwell - she's using BT webmail.

Many thanks for the suggestion - I did consider that method, but wondered whether there was any shortcut whereby everything on BT's server could be directly migrated to Google's server.

But I guess that's cloud cuckoo land!

rdave13 17:16 25 Mar 2010

In Google mail click on settings, accounts and import, then 'import from another address'.

Pineman100 17:23 25 Mar 2010

Brilliant - quick and easy!

Thanks so much rdave13 - it wasn't cloud cuckoo land after all!

Woolwell 17:24 25 Mar 2010

Thanks.

rdave13 18:04 25 Mar 2010

Another little gem is, in settings, accounts and import, under 'check mail using POP3', click on 'add POP3 email account' and add the account.
You'll receive new emails via Google mail from the old account.
Still in accounts and import select, in 'send emails as'; " Reply from the same address the message was sent to", if needed.

Pineman100 18:24 25 Mar 2010

Thanks again rdave13.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017