Microsoft XP Restore Problems

longbelly 11:11 25 Aug 2006

I run MS XP SP-2 and have been setting restore points in the belief that I could use them if needed. I have twice had to use the restore function in 'anger' (I wasn't quite sure of the cause, either a problem with IE - perhaps it's time I went over to Firefox? - or a programme I installed) and each time I was unable to boot up - a notice appeared that there was possibly a 'corrupted system programme' - so each time I had to have the hardrive cleaned off and do a comp-lete re-install. Since then evrything has been fine. But I will never use restore again and that seems a shame because it sounds a good idea. Any comment please! And could this be saying I should change to Firefox?

johndrew 14:08 25 Aug 2006

Many people, me included, have used System Restore successfully. From what you are saying it could be you had some additional (non-Windows) software that was somehow corrupt which affected the ability of System Restore to function.

Can you really blame System Restore for some other software, possibly not directly associated with Windows, for preventing it to function?

In my limited experience, if IE causes, or has, a problem it closes but gives an indication of why. The obvious action then is to address that problem not go straight to Restore and expect it to solve everything for you. The same should apply to any other additional software.

As for `perhaps it's time I went over to Firefox?`, the choice is yours. I use Firefox because I like it better than IE and because all indications from posts and write ups are that it is more secure. However, you will still need IE on your system as it is used by Windows for other functions.

skeletal 14:23 25 Aug 2006

System restore will not work if the recent releases of Sophos anti-virus is running during the restore.

Other anti-virus/other software may have the same effect. Some experimentation with turning off backround programs may be needed before you find your culprit.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?