Microsoft Word and Excel update

russellT1307 11:24 28 Mar 2014

A very simple question. I currently have hundreds of files all using Excel 2003. I am thinking of purchasing the latest word/excel. If I do and I install it will all my files be immediately updated to the new programme? Do I then uninstall my 2003 version? Thanks in advance

onthelimit1 11:37 28 Mar 2014

I've recently done that and the install of Office 2007 and later automatically replaces 2003. Everything will open with no problem.

onthelimit1 11:38 28 Mar 2014

Sorry, should have said that you get the option during the install to auto replace 2003. I went for that and have had no problems.

Forum Editor 11:48 28 Mar 2014

"...will all my files be immediately updated to the new programme?"

Existing data files will remain as they are, but you will be able to open and edit them in the later version.

alanrwood 14:37 28 Mar 2014

Further to the FE's comment. If you open them and then try yo save them you are usually given the option to save in the newer .*x formats. Personally I never do as it means that if I supply the file to some people without Office 2007 onwards they can't open them without installing an add-on from Microsoft (Office Compatibility Pack). but that is up to you.; If you don't want to use the newer formats set the default save format to the earlier version in Options and continue to use the older formats for new documents.

Batch 15:13 28 Mar 2014

You might like to consider these free alternatives: LibreOffice, OpenOffice or Kingsoft Office Free. If you are interested in exploring those, I'd suggest reading some reviews first.

I'm currently using LibreOffice (having been using MS Office 2000 before) and find it fine. A few oddities, but I guess you'd find similar in moving to the latest MS Office anyhow.

AroundAgain 15:31 28 Mar 2014

Bear in mind, if you used LibreOffice (a very good Office suite) you'd need to 'Save As' 97/2003 file in order for others to be able to open it, unless they also had LibreOffice/OpenOffice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?