MICROSOFT WORD ATTACHMENTS WON'T OPEN

Lomond 14:09 19 Aug 2007

For some reason, I cannot open word documents which
come attached to e-mails or word documents that I already have on file.

This is a new problem as I have been using word for a number of years now. Other documents: excel, powerpoint etc do open. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Rich_B 14:21 19 Aug 2007

What you havent said is what happens?
Do you get any error messages?

Try putting the MS Office disk back in the drive and try a "repair".

If not,re-install MS Word/Office.

If you are going for the re-install of the full Office do back up your Outlook PST file. It should be OK, but better safe...

Cheers
R

Nowl 19:36 19 Aug 2007

Hi Lomond

When you say you can't open your existing Word documents, how exactly were you trying to open them? If it was by double-clicking on a file, can you open it from Word's file menu?

It could be simply that the .doc file association's gone a little wonky, but if you could go into a bit more detail we might be able to help more :-)

--
Nowl

Lomond 18:58 20 Aug 2007

thanks for reply. when either trying to open as an attachment or trying to open word ( can't get as far as seeing files), the word window opens - at that point I would expect the document to open but then an egg timer appears and the document does not open,
i finally close out.
I have tried uninistalling and reinstalling microsoft office.....

Cesar 10:48 22 Aug 2007

I recently had a Word document attached to an e-mail,but the attachment was located in "My Documents" and Double Clicking on it opened it in Word I then moved it to word folder.

Blott 11:46 22 Aug 2007

Lomond - If it's any consolation - We have had the same problem as you describe (still have, as a matter of fact ). If you click on the attachment icon then on "open" , the document will not open. However, if you click on "save" and save it to somewhere, the saved document will open normally.
Our IT people working on this, but no results yet.

Regards,
Blott

johnnyrocker 12:54 22 Aug 2007

click here, might get help from first article.

johnny.

Chris the Ancient 16:26 22 Aug 2007

Your link just takes me to the search page!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?