Microsoft Word

User-178362 01:24 19 Jan 2007

(1) I keep deleting a letter in Microsoft Word then deleting it from the recycle bin but it keeps coming back. I also delete the words in the letter but they are still there also. I click on the "W" sign the letter pops up. It is called Document 1. where does it keep coming from. (2) When I am using the web I delete everything but if I was to click on a letter say "C" Colin Fry pops up which I looked at months ago. I can go through the alphabet and subjects pop up that I thought I had deleted. I know the PC holds everything we look at but I did expect it to be hidden inside the PC. And theres more. (3)Looking at subjects that I have looked at in the past a message says(There are 32 stored on your PC). How do I take off all what I have looked at?

BRYNIT 02:23 19 Jan 2007

If you are saying that when you open word it opens this letter. If this is the case the letter has been saved as normal.dot.

In Windows XP Click on my computor

click on your C drive.

Click on search.

Click on all files and folders.

Click on the arrow next to more advanced options and make sure hidden files and folders is ticked.

At the top enter normal.dot then click on search. When it has found the file click on it using right mouse and sellect delete. When you open word it will be a blank sheet.

If you are talking about the information stores in the address bar and if you are using IE7 go to tools/Internet options/general and sellect delete at the bottom sellect delete all this should clear everything in the address bar.

User-178362 17:57 19 Jan 2007

Sorry if I have confused you I must admit its not difficult. I wrote a letter about a spin drier, in Word but I cannot delete it. Keeps coming back. I send it to the recycle bin then delete. I even delete the words but they are still there. I will have a look at what you suggest. Thank you

VoG II 18:00 19 Jan 2007
  User-178362 18:49 19 Jan 2007

Brynit, I did what you said looked in search but it said there are no files found. VoG I could only go as far as stage 3. Cannot say OK as it doesn't exist only search as I said to Brynit I couldn't find normal.dot. I will be back. Going round to my PCA friend. We might look at this prob together then I will get back to you. Thank you.

VoG II 18:54 19 Jan 2007

You may need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders:

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

Search for Hidden Files
By default, the Search companion does not search for hidden files. Because of this, you may be unable to find files, even though they exist on the drive.

To search for hidden or system files in Windows XP:

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

User-178362 19:25 19 Jan 2007

Thanks VoG I knew I had as it used to come up Do I want to change Normal.com but the PC didn't find it. I will do what you surgest when I come back.

terryf 03:36 20 Jan 2007

normal.dot NOT normal.com

User-178362 23:40 20 Jan 2007

I did was was suggested. Again I did not see anything to do with normal.dot, only all my other files. I must have misunderstood. Strange that:).

User-178362 23:43 20 Jan 2007

Forgot to tell you something, I'm sure you know but I cannot get a new page in M/word. I do need to find that normal.dot.

BRYNIT 01:35 21 Jan 2007

To find normal.dot

Click on My Computer.

Go to tools/folder options/view select show hidden files and folder, click OK.

Go to C:\documents and settings\user name\application data\Microsoft\templates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone